Acting ‘as if’ can even take you a step further! Amy Cuddy’s research discloses what tremendous effect taking a certain body posture will have on how you are perceived and what you think about yourself. Knowing these facts may help you to change your life.
In yesterday’s post (number 4 of a 30 day challenge) I told you how the act of smiling causes a shift in your body AND in how you feel.
Body language matters!
Let’s go a step further!
In her TED talk ‘Your body language shapes who you are’ social psychologist Amy Cuddy talks about her research. She reveals that body language not only affects how others see us, but it also changes how we see ourselves.
Watch how body postures can affect testosterone and cortisol levels in the brain, and how they might even have an impact on our chances for success.
In Amy’s words: “Our bodies change our minds; and our minds change our behaviour; and our behaviour changes our outcomes!”
It’s not only about ‘fake it until you make it as she shares through her own story that moved me deeply, it’s about “Fake it until you become it.”
YOUR TURN NOW
- Choose one positive emotion you’re going to foster in your life
- Prepare the ground by generating the bodily posture that will support this: use a ‘power-pose’ demonstrated by Amy in her talk. (If you don’t want to watch it: take the ‘winner’s pose: arms raised in a V, head slightly bent backwards, watching far to the horizon)
- Say aloud in the affirmative what you’re going to change and achieve. For example, during the next 7 days, I’ll forgive myself every time I make a mistake.
- Act as if you were already mastering it
- Repeat No 2 and 3 every day to make sure you keep on track and make it happen.
Sign up to my newsletter if you’d like to learn more about the practical application of scientific research to live happily here and now.
PS: this post is part of a 30 day blogging challenge.
Combining professional experiences in communication, project management and public health with scientific research around mind-body wellbeing, effective time management, goal achievement and happiness she supports you to harness your sensitivities and play to your strengths.
Working with her allows you to complete your mission and to have time for the things and people that matter most.