One of my favourite sayings is: “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” Life consists of a series of ups and downs, pleasant or unpleasant incidents, difficult or easy to deal with, unexpected or expected… Knowing about your 24 character strengths is very powerful in helping you to ‘ride the waves’.
It is far better to expect vicissitudes and to leave your comfort zone deliberately or in other words to learn how to cope with the ‘waves’ = ups and downs of life. I call this to practice proactive ‘stretching’. If you’re keen on growing and getting to know yourself better you should know this revolutionary tool that will change the way you perceive yourself and many other things for the better: your 24 Character Strengths.
Knowing and playing to your core strengths is a safe and fun way to ‘surfing’ with ease and grace through the inevitable ups and downs you’ll encounter.
If you’re not familiar yet with the 24 VIA Character Strengths read my previous post about this new ‘language about what is best in us’. The study and use of individual Strengths is one of the pillars of positive psychology.
Are you ready to focus on your key strengths as a business and lifestyle strategy? Click here to learn more.
The 24 Character Strengths
Why is knowing one’s Strengths Profile so powerful?
The 24 Character Strengths fall under six broad virtues and encompass our capacities for helping ourselves and others.
- Wisdom and Knowledge: creativity, curiosity, judgement, love of learning, perspective
- Courage: bravery, perseverance, honesty, zest
- Humanity: love, kindness, social intelligence
- Justice: teamwork, fairness, leadership
- Temperance: forgiveness, humility, prudence, self-regulation
- Transcendence: appreciation of beauty and excellence, gratitude, hope, humour, spirituality
I’m passionate about these strengths because they are the key to a truly meaningful and good life. A brilliant life where you are at your best and flourish, a happy life that has a ripple effect on the people you love and work with.
Knowing your Unique Strengths Profile is a game changer. It will make life smoother and easier for you – at work, in your relationships as well professionally as privately. Our ‘reality’ depends on our perceptions. Apparently, what’s easy and obvious to us is not only what we apply more or less on autopilot, it’s also what we perceive and value in others!
You can take the free VIA Survey online and bring this hidden treasure – your Unique Strengths Profile – immediately into your consciousness.
The 15 minutes it takes to respond to these 120 questions may be one of the best return on investment of time you’ve made this year.
Get better results now
As pointed out in my post How to act out of your zone of excellence using your 24 character strengths consciously and spotting them in others has multiple benefits:
- You know yourself better and discern therefore easily what activities you want to focus on and which you can (or should) delegate or outsource.
- You are more productive and maximise your potential.
- It has a positive effect on relationships and contributes significantly to your lasting happiness in everyday life.
Your turn now
If you want to learn an easy way to achieve focus and to work smart, not hard, click here to Play To Your Strengths.
Combining professional experiences in communication, project management and public health with scientific research around mind-body wellbeing, effective time management, goal achievement and happiness she supports you to harness your sensitivities and play to your strengths.
Working with her allows you to complete your mission and to have time for the things and people that matter most.
Latest posts by Patricia Mauerhofer (see all)
- Practising Gratitude is Fun and the Key to Happiness - 12/05/2019
- Meet Patty Muffins, Mary Poppins’ younger cousin - 22/03/2019
- What motivates me - 21/03/2019